Road warriors, remote professionals, dedicated customers and committed project teams share a common productivity challenge known as “the conference call.” This unevolved way of working combines rudimentary tools that require people to dial into meetings without seeing the content being discussed. The blurry photos sent after the meeting do nothing to unite the group.
Disconnected from the herd
Researcher Royston Birtwistle and the Institute of Productivity have examined the remote worker in close proximity to collect data on why they feel so disconnected.
Here we have an interesting case! This employee is trying to reconnect with the herd. However she goes unnoticed by her coworkers when she tries to contribute. Peculiar. Watch her expression when she sees the strange image of the meeting notes they share with her – is this the face of a productive team member?
What if the remote worker under observation could have followed along with the notes as they were created by the team using the SMART kapp app on her phone? This unfortunate disconnection and waste of scarce human resources could have been avoided.
Are you a remote worker? Have you been cut-off from the pack? Share your story here.
- Making Collaboration a Reality: Enabling Small Steps - March 10, 2015
- SMART kapp Wins Best of Show at ISE 2015! - February 12, 2015
- 2014: The Year That Was (And Looking To 2015) - December 18, 2014
- Lync and Skype for Business: Four Observations - December 8, 2014
- 7 Things About Meetings We’re Thankful For - November 24, 2014
- Reflect and Remember – Honoring Our Military Service Customers - November 7, 2014
- Why the Millennial Takeover Will Be ‘Nice’ and Critical to Business: Wired Insights from CTO Warren Barkley - November 5, 2014
- Five Halloween-Inspired Meeting Horror Stories (And How to Make Them Less Scary) - October 30, 2014
- Business Anthropology Part 3 – Disconnected From the Herd - June 18, 2014
- Business Anthropology Part 2: Paper – The Unevolved Meeting Tool - June 10, 2014